White Plains Business Improvement District

Hot dog! A classic business comes to White Plains

Westfair Communications, Peter Katz, August 30, 2018

 

 

If you hear them saying “hot dog” in White Plains, it could be because they’re excited or it could be because they’re placing an order at Walter’s Hot Dogs at 186 Mamaroneck Ave., or maybe both.

The Westchester food institution, located in a Chinese pagoda-style building on Palmer Avenue in Mamaroneck since 1928, has opened a location in White Plains. In 2017, Walter’s opened its first eatery outside of Mamaroneck in Stamford, Connecticut. Its hot dog truck has been a common sight around Westchester for years. Walter Warrington first began selling the split-in-half dogs, grilled in a “secret sauce” and served on a toasted bun with a proprietary mustard, relish and spices, in 1919. The fourth generation of the Warrington family now operates the business. 

The White Plains location was designed to seat 50 people both indoors and outdoors. Katharine Warrington Woodward, great-granddaughter of Walter, was among the family members attending a ribbon-cutting ceremony on Aug. 28 to mark the formal opening of the Mamaroneck Avenue store. She handles public relations for the business and said that the White Plains location should help reach new customers. The White Plains Downtown Business Improvement District was represented at the event by Brittany Brandwein. White Plains Mayor Thomas Roach used a giant pair of scissors to cut an extra-wide red ribbon.

. . .

Read the full article from Westfair Communications